NP school: the interview

If you are thinking about a career as a nurse practitioner, you probably wonder if you'll be accepted after going through the process of applying. 

I thought I'd share a few inside tips about my own interview at Penn

I was admittedly nervous for the interview but felt confident about my interviewing capabilities.  I dressed for the occasion in a black skirt and light blue button down shirt.  It was the middle of the summer and I definitely worked up a sweat before I arrived.  I brought along a copy of my resume and essay, just in case.  

I sat down with the Associate Program Director for a one-on-one interview.  The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes and in my opinion, was incredibly thorough.  She started off asking general questions about my work experience and then followed up with scenario related questions.  You know-- the ones where you're asked to give an example of a time you showed leadership capabilities as a bedside nurse?  Or, tell me about a time that you advocated for your patient in a difficult situation?  Also, if I were to ask your co-workers and managers, what would they say about your strengths and your weaknesses?  Gotta love that question.

Then, we talked about the NP role in general and I used this opportunity to tell her why I wanted to become a nurse practitioner.  I also asked specific questions about the program at Penn.  Do not forget that even though you are the person being interviewed that this is also your chance to ask your own questions about the program.  It's important to know if a specific program is the right fit for you.  I wanted to know their board pass rate and which clinical settings/locations do they use, among a few others. 

I do remember the last question she asked which I was not expecting-- it went something like this:
"Do you read nursing or medical research?"  Me:  Oh, yes, definitely. It's important to stay updated on the latest practices because as you know, medicine changes so quickly.
"Ok- can you tell me about the research that you've read recently?" Oh, wow-- did she really just asked me that. (Think, think, think,- sweating again) Luckily, I did recently read a research article about robotic prostatecomy- don't ask me why- but it saved me, thank you, prostate.

 A few take home points from the NP interview:

1. Think through the scenario questions before the interview.  Be prepared to sell yourself.
2. Don't forget to 'interview the program' 
3. Understand the role of the NP and current legislative issues. 
3. Read up on some latest nursing/medical research.


So, there you have it- my interview experience.  I hope this helps you if you're thinking about applying or are preparing for an upcoming interview. 



3 comments:

  1. Good points and since they are entering a new profession, might want to dress appropriately and show up early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no scrubs! I saw someone in those at my interview, haha.

    ReplyDelete

All Things NP All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger