Forbes Article



 This article in Forbes magazine is a must read.  Do it. Read it now-- and then come back to my blog. 


With the ever growing patient population as a result of ObamaCare the demand for competent health care providers will continue to increase.  My goal is not to begin the debate MD vs. NP or NP vs. PA-- no way-- not going there.  What I will say and I am only sharing my opinions is that there is a place for everyone in health care.  As the article points out, nurse practitioners, nurse anesthetists, nurse midwives, physician assistants, pharmacists and psychologists all have a place in medicine.

When it comes to incredibly complex medical issues I feel that an experienced physician is the most qualified person to provide medical care (of course there are exceptions, as with everything).  But, nurse practitioners provide competent and safe health care in a variety of settings: outpatient, inpatient, ICU, minute clinics, long-term care and the list goes on. 

The much larger issue that is a topic of heated debate is whether or not to allow nurse practitioners to practice independently.  This would mean that a nurse practitioner could open his/her own practice without the need of a collaborating physician.  Each state currently places their own laws and restrictions on who is allowed to practice medicine independently of a physician.  Some states already allow this independence.  Independent practice is the core issue.

The state of California is already working to pass legislation that will expand health care access not only to nurse practitioners but to physician assistants, optometrists and pharmacists.  

As a future nurse practitioner you might think that I would be a proponent of independent practice but I see both sides of the argument and am still on the fence.  As a new NP, I do not feel comfortable or confident opening a solo practice, seeing my own patients and essentially running a small business.  I don't want that kind of responsibility and stress.  Perhaps in the future, this would be an appealing option and something I would consider so yes, I am glad that the NP profession is making strides in this direction.  

Dr. Adalja is a proponent of independent practice:

"Expanded scopes of practice, in which a non-physician renders care independent of a physician, not only expand access to health care and have the potential to decrease the cost of healthcare, but also reflect a respect for the free market system."

What are your thoughts on the topic?  Is independent practice for NP's the way of the future?


(the photo above is of a favorite spot in Costa Rica.  It reminds me of warmer days- a great reminder in the middle of February)

2 comments:

  1. I loved that this article was written by an MD. As an NP I don't know that I want to practice completely independently...I like having a collaborating physician that I can bounce things off of. But I do like that ultimately the choice of treatment for my patients is mine alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this article. I am very interested in how the latest health care legislation will alter the profession. So do you think that NPs will have to carry malpractice insurance if they practice independently?

    ReplyDelete

All Things NP All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger