Neuro ICU Clinical: a typical day

Hi there!  Wow-- it's been quite some time since my last post.  Well, that's because I've barely been able to keep up with all of the demands- school, work and clinical but I'm trying my best.

Here is a typical clinical day in the Neuro ICU:

0600-0730:  I arrive on the unit and am given 3 patient assignments.  I assess my patients, look up their recent labs, talk with the night nurse about any events and record the info on the ICU flowsheet that is then used for rounds that morning.
0800-0900:  Attend morning report.  Morning report consists of the trauma/surgical/neuro attendings, residents and students.  Each patient is discussed- the new patients in detail and a quick update is given about the existing patients.  I did present a new patient the other morning and it went well-- although you could hear the nervousness in my voice-- ugh!
0900-1230:  Morning rounds with the neuro attending, the NP, PA, bedside nurse and respiratory therapist.  Rounds are incredibly thorough and a complete neuro exam is performed on each patient.  We discuss each patient head to to toe, new orders are written and any issues are discussed.
1300-1400:  I usually follow up with my patients if there were new labs that were ordered, etc.
1400-1430:  Lunch
1430-1600:  I assess my patients again in preparation for sign-out.  My NP preceptor will usually select a topic that we discuss ie: ventriculostomies, head CT's, etc.  On several occasions I've gone to the ED with the NP or attending to assess a new stroke patient.
1630:  Sign out

I've enjoyed the Neuro ICU but over time I can see how difficult it would be to manage this patient population day in and day out.  I've only been there for a total of 8 days but almost that many patients have died or have become severely disabled as a result of their brain infarct/injury/hemorrhage.



No Response to "Neuro ICU Clinical: a typical day"

Post a Comment

All Things NP All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger