Aneurysm Coiling

 Image via Yale Medical Group

Last week I had the opportunity to observe an endovascular aneurysm coiling performed by a neuro interventionalist. 

I've always wanted to check out the happenings in interventional radiology and this was such a cool procedure to watch. 

I sported the full lead apron including a thyroid collar.  The apron must weigh at least 7 lbs and weighs significantly more after hours of wear. 




The procedure was fascinating.  The coolest part for me were the 3D images that were produced in real time of the cerebral arteries.  The images looked something like this:

 Image via radiologycasereports.net

It was also interesting to watch the platinum coils being deployed into the aneurysm.  I am still fascinated by how a metal coil/coils into a weak portion of a cerebral artery works- but it does. 

I spoke at length with one of the NP's that works for the practice and she only had wonderful things to say about her role.  She sees patients both in the inpatient and outpatient setting.  Her schedule includes 4 10 hr days one week and then 3 10 hr days the next.  In my brief interactions with the physicians, they seem wonderful to work for and she agreed.  Sounds like a pretty good gig to me.

1 comment:

All Things NP All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger