Getting pimped


 Oh yes, that's right-- my favorite part of my neuro ICU rotation.  No seriously, it is.  Let me explain. 

There is nothing that motivates me more to know my stuff than when an attending is asking me question after question after question about a patient, medical condition, lab work, etc.  Luckily, the attendings in this neuro ICU are not as brutal as I have witnessed back in my days as a nurse working at a trauma center in Austin, Texas (how I miss that city).  I remember med students and residents getting eaten alive in front of a small audience-- so painful to watch. 

The 'pimping' that occurs on this rotation isn't nearly as severe as it could be.  Today I was asked to perform a neuro exam on a patient while the attending observed and asked questions about the cranial nerves I was testing, motor strength, sensory, etc.  I feel I did decent job- not perfect- but pretty good.  She then proceeded to ask pointed questions about the patient, diagnosis, etc. 

For all of you out there just dying to know the components of a neuro exam here they are:

Elements of the Neuro Exam:
1.  Level of consciousness; mental status
2.  Cranial Nerves
3.  Motor: strength, bulk and tone
4.  Sensory
5.  Reflexes


Easy right?  Try doing it in front of a small audience. 

Looking forward to the 'pimp zone' tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love being put on the spot by your preceptor or the doctor you are training with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, doesn't sound easy! Neuro is so hard, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete

All Things NP All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger