Resume Writing



I spent most of the early morning yesterday rewriting my resume.  Luckily, my latest edition was fairly up to date but after doing a bit of online research, it was apparent that I had to change my strategy.  I am no longer applying to RN positions, but to NP postings- it's a totally different story.   

The other issue that I found tricky is how to really sell myself even though I have absolutely no experience as a nurse practitioner.  Oh, and not to mention that I haven't even completed the Acute Care NP program- that happens in August of this year!

One thing that I learned, thanks to NP Career Coach is that including my clinical rotations and a few specifics about each rotation is important, including the total hours at each site.  This information gives my future employer an idea of my interests and capabilities.  So far, I've almost completed two very different ICU rotations.  My next clinical rotation will be at a much smaller hospital working with a NP who sees patients both in the inpatient and outpatient settings.

Also, making and keeping connections, like in most fields is important and I am finding that to be very true in health care.  My former preceptor was the NP director at her hospital and the clinical faculty at my current clinical site is also the NP director at this hospital- jackpot.  So far, I think that both of these connections will pay off immensely.

The director of the NP program I attend sends our class daily emails about current job postings, some are local but most of them are outside my area.  She sent a job posting on Friday that sounds like a great fit so I wanted to send in my resume as soon as possible.  I have a feeling that the job market is fairly competitive but I am hoping that the connections I've made will help.   

4 comments:

  1. That's so cool that she sends out job postings for you guys. I'm excited for you to graduate & get your first job, I can't wait to hear all about it!! I mean following the rules of HIPAA of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold out for the job you want...the good thing about being an RN is that you already have a good job! It took me a year to find my first job..being peds specific really limited me. And that I only wanted primary care didn't help either! But it was worth the wait. I got my experience, learned to speak Spanish, and now at my current position, am where I want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm scared to death about the job hunt, even though it won't be for a while. I've heard a lot about credentialing, licensing, DEA stuff, and negotiating contracts -- ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be alright. Do not stress yet August is a while away. I agree with Pedi and hold on for the job you want.
    They emphasized that in our basic resume and CV class at UCSF. There are jobs out there and do not take a job just for the sake of it.

    ReplyDelete

All Things NP All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger